UB will become the premiere, public Division I-A athletic department for the state of New York by fostering an environment for big time college athletics in the WNY community and the state at large.
What is the NYBI?
The University at Buffalo New York Bulls Initiative (NYBI) will serve as a comprehensive initiative to cultivate a local and national presence and generate an everlasting sense of loyalty to our athletic brand. As the largest most comprehensive public university in the state, we are well positioned to establish ourselves as one of the nation’s most formidable athletic departments. In doing so, the NYBI will enhance four strategic priorities: Image, Partnerships, Resources and Facilities.
4 Strategic Priorities
It is critical that, as the states premier public athletic program, our visual identity be powerful and dynamic. A strategic and vital component of the NYBI is to create a unique, consistent and cohesive brand identity program with national appeal. The strength of our brand will help drive in and out-of-state enrollment and boost community and regional pride and support. To that end, some changes have been implemented:
- The local and national strength of our program requires strong brand association and appeal. Nowhere is this more important than in the outward appearance of our logos, team uniforms and quality of apparel that our coaches, student-athletes and fans wear.
- Example: For the first time, beginning this fall, Nike and New Era will be the exclusive providers of sports apparel for all our student-athletes, coaches and staff as we strengthen the power of our image as an elite, championship caliber program.
- Early this summer UB Athletics introduced a new mark, illustrating the official name of the University: State University of New York at Buffalo. This mark will transcend western New York and serve to enhance our national athletics profile.
- Example: This fall, the University at Buffalo football team will take the field with new uniforms and a new mark on the jersey. The University’s official name “State University of New York at Buffalo” will be prominently displayed on the chest, while players will still don the traditional “UB” helmet.
Creating strategic partnerships and maximizing exposure will be one of the first steps toward building brand equity and engaging the community. Three particular areas of importance are:
- Team UB - This corporate partner program consists of our highest level corporate partners, all of whom carry category exclusive contracts. These partners are placed in the most dominant positions when it comes to the assets within our sponsorship inventory.
- Example: New Era, Nike, Pepsi.
- Apparel - Aligning our program with the most prominent names in athletics apparel designers and suppliers will serve to enhance our image, credibility and the power of our brand.
- Example: New Era will be the exclusive headwear provider for all athletic department personnel and student-athletes. Our proximity to New Era provides us with many advantages as we seek to enhance our local and national image.
- Media – Enhancing our local and national media platforms coupled with an enhanced, targeted marking approach will help us build brand equity, drive ticket sales and attract corporate sponsors resulting in increased revenue for our program.
- Example: ESPN 1520, a 50,000-watt station, has one of the strongest signals in the nation. ESPN 1520 will be the flagship station of the UB Bulls Radio Network. UB Football games will also air on 1280 WHTK in Rochester as well as select games on 570 WMCA in New York City and 104.5 The Team in Albany. For the first time in school history, UB Athletics will have a radio network that spans across the entire Empire State.
The NYBI will serve as a platform for generating revenue and philanthropic support. By focusing on building brand equity and fan loyalty, the NYBI will realize increases in ticket sales, donations and corporate sponsorships thereby strengthening the long-term fiscal health of UB Athletics.
- Ticket Sales;
- Corporate sponsorships.
To be sure, the prosperity of an athletic program offers a number of quantifiable financial benefits to the university and local community as well. Universities profit from increased out-of-state enrollment and national brand equity. While local economies are stimulated by local fan spending and tourism revenue.
Providing our student-athletes and coaches with facilities that are commensurate with a championship program is paramount to our recruiting, training and preparation efforts to achieve long-term competitive success. The NYBI will serve to generate resources for the improvement of our athletic facilities infrastructure, thereby creating a competitive advantage. Proposed enhancements to the athletics facilities infrastructure include:
- The Ortman Tennis Center;
- Enhancements to the Murchie Family Football Center;
For more information on capital projects, click here.
Board of Advisors
The Board of Advisors will provide volunteer advisory and strategic guidance to the Director of Athletics and leadership team, as it relates to the New York Bulls Initiative.
- Chairperson, Pete Augustine, BS ’87, Former President, New Era Cap Co.;
- Russ Brandon, President & CEO, Buffalo Bills;
- Kevin Brinkworth, BA ’63, JD ’66, Real Estate Developer;
- Mark Czarnecki, BS ’77, President, M&T Bank;
- Greg D’Alba, BA ’81, President, Global Sales and Marketing, WME/IMG;
- Bob Denning, BS ’91, EMBA ’00, President & CEO, Perry’s Ice Cream;
- Doug Dimitroff, JD ’89, Partner, Phillips Lytle LLP;
- Colleen DiPirro, President & CEO, Amherst Chamber of Commerce;
- Jerry Jacobs Jr., Principal, Delaware North Companies, Inc.;
- Mike Joseph, President, Clover Management Inc.;
- Francis Letro, JD ’79, Partner, Francis M. Letro, Attorneys at Law;
- Jordy Levy, BA ’77, Managing Partner, Softbank Capital New York;
- Gerry Matalon, BA ’88, Senior Coordinating Producer, ESPN;
- Bob Morris, BA ’67, Chairman of the Board, HAGIN Investment Management;
- Larry Quinn, former Managing Partner, Buffalo Sabres;
- Steve Ulmer, President & CEO, Davis-Ulmer Sprinkler Company, Inc.